Saturday, May 26, 2007

Back in Business -

Well, I'm up and running now that the computer is back in business after our fire. YES, WE HAD A SMALL FIRE . . . see "hubby's Blog" for more details and updates - I'm not going to retype everything!

Anyway, I was reading the paper the other day and there is a big to-do in Farmers Branch about renting out properties to ILLEGAL immigrants.

Apparently, there was a big vote in City Council about the issue and alot of people were up in arms about it. (most likely the ILLEGAL immigrants' families).

The city has decided that it is against the law to rent apartments, houses, etc to ILLEGAL immigrants. Now, I ask you - WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS DECISION??? Why is everyone up in arms about it?

They are ILLEGAL immigrants - why should we allow them to stay in the country illegally? If they want to stay and live in this country - FINE, they need to go through the proper channels like everyone else does. We can't allow these people to just up and decide they want to break the law while we look the other way.

I understand that this is the "melting pot" and the "land of dreams" . . but there has to be a line drawn somewhere - otherwise, what happens to civility? If we allow people to break these laws, what other laws are next? Will it be OK to murder someone we don't like? Kidnap children when we feel like it? I know these examples seem pretty extreme - but really . . where does it end?

I don't know why people are so quick to defend those who are openly defying this country's laws - what about all those people out there who are obeying the laws and working hard in their lives - don't they get any breaks? Why dole out favors to those who refuse to obey the laws and follow the rules?

Heaven forbid we "OFFEND" anyone . . . . whatever happened to expecting everyone to follow the laws set forth my those in our government and working hard to earn a living in the LEGAL way?

Off my soapbox until next time. . . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a soapbox of my own, and it covers a lot of territory. It seems to me that the National Guard should be here protecting our borders instead of somewhere else. Most of our ancestors came by ship from Europe, came through Ellis Island, and went through the process of naturalization. The land borders are so long and difficult to police; I could go on and on, if I had time. I guess I should be writing a blog of my own. Maybe someday. Vicki.